Hot Summerdays in Sweden



Summer this year is very much summerly if I can say that, even here in Sweden and who would think that. I heard all the horror stories about rainy summers in Sweden before we moved here, one week of sun and then is over people would say, telling us if we really wanna exchange Spain for Sweden. Now, this is our first official summer in Sweden (I kind of do not count the last one as we were pretty much busy with the move) and I do not know what people were talking about. I mean if I should complain about Swedish summer it would be rather about all the hot days we have had since weeks already. I have got my lovely summer teint from countless beach visits, opening the beach season already in May.

With all the hot days we are having right now, our daily eating behaviours did change... well ice cream seems to be on the top of the list, followed by lots of veggies and fruits. Its rather light and more balanced, as we cannot really eat heavy food right now. I do believe you feel the same, as this summer seems to be very hot everywhere. I do enjoy the sun though, I must say that... but when the evenings come and I feel this light and fresh breeze outside, I do run out in the garden for a little cool down before the sleep. I close my eyes and listen to the wind playing with the trees, feeling the cool breeze on my skin... being grateful for this special gift from summer.

On top to the great summer weather, there were many great changes and events we have had over the summer so far. I finally got a huge dinning table and hosted couple of dinner and fika parties. I am looking forward for all the parties yet to come and all the recipes to be tried and invented, which I will be sharing with my family, friends and you guys of course.

Today some ideas and recipes for the hot summer days if you expcet some guests for the dinner, but you would rather spend the hot day at the beach as in the kitchen. Easy, delicious, summerly and most importantly quick...




Hummus is one of my favourite foods. Serve it with some fresh veggies sticks and you will get a great summer starter for your dinner. Its not only very tasty, but also very healthy and fresh, perfect for hot summer days. You wont get heavy on your stomach, but still you will get all the vitamins you need. Hummus comes in different tastes and varieties, there are also many different recipes out there. My are rather humble and super quick to make, you just need a food processor and your delicious summer starter will be ready in no time. Put it in a jar, to make it look even more inviting and your guests will be delighted. I choose baby carrots and sugar snaps to my two kinds of hummus, but you can also serve bell pepper, cucumber or cauliflower to it, depends what you like or having home at that moment.

Hummus
  • 1 can of precooked chickpeas (drained)
  • 2-3 teaspoons tahini paste
  • 1 small garlic glove
  • juice of half a lemon
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Put chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice into the food processor and blend it all till you will get a smooth paste... add a little bit of olive oil to make the paste more smoother. Season with some salt and pepper if needed.

Root beet hummus
  • 3 precooked root beet bulbs
  • 2-3 teaspoons tahini paste
  • 1 small garlic glove
  • juice of half a lemon
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Put root beet, tahini, garlic, lemon juice into the food processor and blend it all till you will get a smooth paste... add a little bit of olive oil to make the paste more smoother. Season with some salt and pepper if needed.

Gazpacho is an ultimate summer soup if you ask me, I mean it comes from Spain, they know exactly what to eat during the hot season. The soup is done from vegetables and is served cold. Serving them in champagne glasses as I did, might not be the typical way to serve this soup, but certainly the funnier one. If you serve canapes or tapas along with the soup too, there is no need to have it served in a big portions... this is where fancy champagne glasses are coming very handy. Gazpacho is very refreshing and also very easy on your stomach. My version of Gazpacho might not be the traditional one either as I left some of the ingredients out, to make it even more lighter and more refreshing. It goes quick, again you just need a food processor and fancy champagne glasses to serve the soup. 

Gazpacho
  • 2-3 hand full cherries tomatoes
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 1 cucumber (peeled)
  • good splash of balsamico vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • vegetable stock
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Put tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, balsamico vinegar and garlic powder into the food processor, blend till you will get a smooth mixture. Slowly pour in some of the vegetable stock to get a soup like consistency. Add some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put the soup into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.


Frittata my reliable helper when it comes to quick made food... does not matter if its for dinner, lunch or brunch. There is no real recipe as such there, yes I mean there is, but it always different because it really really really depends on what my refrigerator has to offer... sometimes I will do it with tomatoes and ham, sometimes with tomato and bell pepper, sometimes with spinach and tomatoes, sometimes with tomatoes and halloumi cheese, like I did this time.... You can find a basic recipe HERE just leave out the grated cheese and exchange it with halloumi cheese cut in cubes and roasted together with tomatoes...




Serving some olives or store bought antipasti will enrich your table and delight your guest. Some nice cheese cannot be missed here either, I know its not particularly light food, but it always goes well and frankly there is no need to eat a lot of it either. Figs marmalade, fresh berries, some crackers and nuts will complete your cheese board to perfection.
When it comes to canapes or tapas, there is no need to go super advance at all.  Toast some baguette slices with olive oil put a teaspoon of creme fresh on top, then top it with some caviar and dill and you have a perfect canape within couple of minutes. Melon with jamon is another perfect addition to your summer dinner table... serve it cold for additional cool down for your guests.


Enjoy!






Comments