Apple cake for us and doggy cookies for Bella

Would you ask me some years ago how I feel about having a dog, the answer would be most likely rather negative. Not that I had something against them, I just could not picture me and a dog under the same roof. It all changed recently, with Bella our newest family member the cutest Jack Russel puppy ever. Today's post is dedicated to Bella, which you probably already guessed.


It all started with our decision to move to the Swedish country side, having a dog came as a natural fact, everybody has a dog living in a house on the country side, right? So once arrived here the idea grew on us and some weeks ago we finally got our Bella. It was love at first glance, not sure it always works like this but we saw her, she saw us and we kind of all knew it.
Now, even though we are speaking one week and a couple of days, since this cheeky lady moved in, it feels like she was always a solid member of our family and there is no way I can picture my future without her any longer. I heard from others that this can go quick, but I am still pretty much stunted how quick it actually was. So now having her with us I have another family member, which likes to get spoiled once in a while (or maybe a little bit more). I know I shall be all firm with her diet, timing, portion etc. but did you ever tried not to give anything to your doggy while you were having a snack and she was sitting next to you giving you this look (you know which one I mean)?!? Well I tell you it is a hardest things to do, to say no to them that very moment.
Being all firm (and I am really giving my best) I still feel like she does deserve some snacks between the meals. I was not all crazy about the doggy treats you can buy, as most of the ingredients are "Chinese" to me.... some even bit scary, not being an expert on doggy food here. So I started to look around what dogs can eat. There are many recipes out there, I checked couple of them looking for healthy and light version. I found plenty, but finally ended up with an adjusted version of healthy doogy cookies, which were done yesterday for Bella, next to an apple cake treat for us.


I was  a bit nervous at first... all for nothing as she loves these cookies so much. Now when she give me this look (please look at the pictures) and I am unable to say no to a treat, she gets one of these  cookies and I feel much better, knowing exactly what she is eating. The recipe could not be easier and the ingredients are actually always around.

Doggy treat cookies
  • 200 g oatmeal flakes
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 egg
  • 2 small carrots
  • 1 teaspoon oil - I used coconut oil
  • 0,5 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180C. Blitz the oatmeal flakes in a food processor, till you will get a flour texture, set it aside. In a bowl smash the banana, add the egg, finely grated carrots, oil and turmeric, stir till all well combined. Add the flour, mix again. Let the dough sit for 15 minutes. Take a small piece of dough and roll it to a ball, place it on the baking sheet lined with baking paper, take a forge and flatten the dough ball with it. Alternatively you can form small bones out of it. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let them cool completely before giving it to your dog or putting them into a glass jar




As for us, it was something rather unplanned as I was not planning to bake anything, but my son, to whom by the way I also cannot say no that easily, wished for a cake. He was a bit sad and cold and I could not resist. Apple cake is always an option when something comfy should be done. Every time I feel bit down and need this special treatment apple cake will come up first in my mind. Not sure why but it always works his magic on me... actually on my husband, on my son and many of my friends too. I guess there has to be something to it then... maybe the cinnamon which warms us from inside, the sweetness of the apple which reminds us on sunny and warm days or this little dollop of vanilla cream or ice cream on a warm cake, running down the side. Either way it works to chear up my lovelies and this is all what matters.



Apple pie
  • 200 g flour
  • 60 g brown sugar
  • 80 g butter cold cut in cubes
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2-3 apples
  • 1 tablespoons brown sugar
  • agave syrup
  • cinnamon
  • 4-5 small cubes of butter
Preheat the oven to 180C. Put flour, sugar, butter cubes, baking powder and salt in the food processor and give it couple of spins. Add egg and pulse another couple of times till dough starts to form. Should the dough be too dry, add some cold water (spoon wise) to reach a firm ball of dough (not too sticky). Take the dough out, half it in two and roll out two circles, big enough to cover your baking dish. Butter you baking dish and cover it with the first dough circle, covering the edges too. 
Skin, remove the seeds and cut the apples in cubes, add them in a bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon, some agave syrup and mix till all apples are covered. Put the apples in the baking dish. Now add the butter cubes on top. Take the second dough circle and cover the pie. Press the dough edges with your finger to seal the pie. Springer some brown sugar on top, cut a small cross in the middle and bake for about 45-50 minutes. Serve the case with some cream or ice cream on top.


Enjoy!

Comments