Homemade bagels for breakfast

I did it again... and by that I mean a spontaneous buy of yet another kitchen tool. I was meeting my friend for  a cup of coffee and a long due to chat yesterday, as we have not been seeing each other for some time now. During our walk through the streets talking about this and that, my eyes caught something really cool in the store window.... Lékué bagel molds. My boys and I love bagels, especially homemade once. If you ever made bagels yourself, you would know that they are actually not very difficult to make, but there are some steps which might be challenging and with this little beauties you won´t have any issues to make your own homemade bagels ever again.

After saying goodbye to my friend, I decided to reward myself with one little present. I rushed back to the shop and couple of minutes later I was an official owner of these gorgeous bagel molds. Already on the way back home I was thinking what kind of bagels I would make for breakfast next day, surprising my boys with something special.

The molds do hold what they are promising. I was positively surprised and all the steps I was struggling in the past, when making bagels (shaping the whole which will hold during the baking process to give the bagels their typical shape, putting the bagels into the boiled soda water and fishing them out without breaking the shape etc.) were done much easier with those molds.
I decided to try something new... gluten free bagels. Not that we are having issues with this, but I know many people who does and wanted to try some gluten free recipes for some time now. The recipe does not yell for raising time either, which made it even more attractive for me. The bagels were done in no time, well there was some time involved of course, but not as much as usual. The result (even with all my fears and doubts) was just amazing... again my biggest fans and criticizers (my boys) were more than pleased with my "madeinnotime" bagels.  The bagels came out light and fluffy and I think we will be making them for sure again.
Gluten free bagels
  • 350 g gluten free bread flour
  • 6 g dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 0,5 teaspoon salt
  • 175 ml warm water
  • 60 g butter (room temperature)
Preheat the oven to 180C. Add flour, yeast and sugar into the bowl of your stand mixer and give it a whisk. Put in salt, water and butter, start kneading on a low speed for half a minute or so. Increase the speed of the stand mixer and knead for more 3 minutes. Take the dough out of the bowl and let it cool for about 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
Meanwhile boil some water in a pot and add some salt and 1 teaspoon of baking powder to it (be careful while sifting in the baking powder).
Take the dough out of the fridge and divide it in 6 equal pieces. Shape a ball, place it on the top of the bagel mold and drag it down to shape the bagel. Take the mold and submerge it in the boiling water, let it boil for 20 seconds. Take the mold out of the pot and place it on a plate covered with paper towel, so the remaining water can drain. Proceed the same way with the remaining dough balls. Brush the bagels with some egg wash (egg mixed with some water) and sprinkle some sesame seeds, lax seeds or poppy seeds over the bagels. Put the molds as they are on the oven rack and bake for about 20 minutes till golden brown.
Serve with anything you like. Please note that the bagels should be eaten the same day, as they will lose on taste and shape over the time.


Enjoy!






Comments