Early mornings and blackberries pie

You got to love the early mornings at the countryside.... the sun rises up, filling everything with light and warmth. Everything around you slowly wakes up, starting to get busy for the day. The air clear and fresh, it is quite and peaceful. I always enjoy those moments, they seems to be magical, my time of the day where I can just relax, without much thinking and only enjoy the beauty around me. 

While my boys are still sleeping, mornings are the time of the day which are reserved just for me. I get started for the day by planing the activities we could do and think what can I cook or possible bake. Being here in Sweden in the countryside the chooses are endless, both for cooking as well as for special activities. There is beach, there is forest, there are bicycle tours and of course going to the city. For me there is also plenty of country flea-markets, which I simple cannot ignore.... even so I have to admit that this is the least favorite activity my boys do actually like. 

These days I also use my morning time with picking some fresh blackberries for breakfast. The other morning when I was hiding the way to the bushes I realize that it was raining during the night. I saw the beautiful water drops still hanging around the greens, flowers and even spider nets.... I run back into the house to take my camera, as I wanted to catch the beauty of it.

After my photo shoot around the house, I went back to my previous task and picked some of the blackberries. With all the blackberries right now, there is a lot of baking with blackberries going on in our house and today I am going to share one of  the easiest berry pie recipes with a little twist, which is such a delight for the late summer days. Our family loves to eat this pie with vanilla ice cream on top, but it is super delicious on their own. Try it, you won´t regret it....

Blackberry pie
  • 275 g flour
  • 125 g cold butter
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
Cut the butter in cubes, put flour, butter, sugar and salt in a food processor and blitz for couple of seconds. Add egg and blitz once more, till the dough forms a ball. If the dough appears to dry, add some milk to it....spoon wise. Let the dough chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.  Take the dough out on a floured surface. Roll it out, big enough to cover the baking dish. 
  • 400 g blackberries 
  • 2 limes, zest and juice
  • 100 g sugar (add more if you would like to have it sweeter or the berries are too sour)
  • 2 tablespoons flour
Preheat the oven to 180 C. Put the blackberries in a big bowl. Zest and squeeze the limes, add zest and  juice to the blackberries. Sift the sugar and flour steer till all ingredients are combined. Pour the filling into the baking dish, covered with pie crust, decorate as you wish. Brush the pie crust with some egg-wash (egg with some milk) and bake for ca. 40 minutes, till the crust gets golden brown and the berries are starting to bubble.


Enjoy!



Comments